Saturday, May 28, 2011

Days 11 & 12: it's that time of the week

The thermostat reads 41° Celsius, which is about 105° Fahrenheit. The thermostat is in the shade. It's not as bad as Bruceville, Texas though – it's nice and dry here, whereas Bruceville LOVES the humidity. But it's still toasty. Everyone's a little heat crazy today.

Today is Shabbat, so the heat came at a good time – I don't know what I would do if we were mud-building today. If anything, it would prepare me for the second half of the summer time when Bruceville feels like a sweat lodge. What I need is a nice big hat to keep me cool and shade my shoulders!

This week was full of lessons, from blackwater systems to mud-bricks 101. Here's a pictorial overview of my week!

Digging up earth for mud-bricks.

How I feel about building mud-bricks :)

Purple lettuce!

Learning about sludge traps, which are AWESOME for preventing clogged sinks and foul smells, in addition to saving a ton of money in the long run. Every house should have these!

Solar powered water heater

The door to the septic tank...yum....

Road trip!!

 
Just one more work day left here at Lotan, then heading back to the states on Monday. It's crazy how time works-the days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days. It's been such an incredible learning experience, and it continues everyday :)

1 comment:

  1. Happy to see your posting. Great photos. You are bringing back so much information to camp, for yourself and the lives you enrich. These 2 weeks have really flown by! Shalom = hello, good-bye, peace - "the nicest greeting I know." Looking forward to a big Jessi hug on Tuesday - best b-day gift of all. Ani ohevet otach- Ima

    ReplyDelete